Wednesday, May 23, 2012

An evening a morning, the first day

In Irun, while we waited for the albergue to open, we met David and Hosea from Spain, gentle Daniel, a cyclist from Mexico, an Irishman who no one could understand, and as the evening passed we were joined by more Irishmen, a couple of Frenchmen, and a Belgian who had walked from his home across France, bound to meet St, James in Santiago.  We went into Irun with Daniel and found delicious pintxos for dinner.  He had already ridden from Alaska to his home in Mexico, so the Camino was just a "short ride" for him.  Back at the albergue, the Irish were regalling anyone in hailing distance with stories of their bike ride across France.  Bedtime comes early since everyone has to be out by 7:30. 
The morning came too quicky after a restful nightnin a room full of snoring men.  We shared bread, coffee and the stuffing of packs.  I opened the letter my wife sent for me on Camino and fell in love again.  I read the blessing for the day my daughter sent me: 'walk with God and my love'.  Encouraged we set out into rain and wind gusts of 30-40 mph.  The walking was beautiful: into the green of the Basque hills-- up, up, up.  Everybody passed us.  I hold Peter up, but slow and steady we trudge on for 2 hours.  We found a church to rest, have a drink, and read our devotions out of the rain.  Today I mingle my burdens and share my joy with Dorothy N and Laurel W.  May God brinb blessing to you both.  The rain and wind prevented me from leaving the prayers on the Camino today.  I'll do so tomorrow.  Thoroughly wet and dog tired we crossed the river and have stopped in Tavern to eat.,,  We've walked 8 or 9 wind swept miles and have 8 or so to go.  There was evening, and morning, the first day.  This is all I dreamed and more.









No comments:

Post a Comment