Wednesday, April 4, 2012

It's new boots day! It's new boots day!

Two years ago, I bought a pair of Asolo boots to try out for the trip.  It turned out I loved them.  They keep my feet "still".  That is, there is no side to side movement and they do not slip forward and back.  My feet flex inside and that's about it.  I've put near 500 miles on them and have never even had a hot spot, much less a blister (see photo of what a blister does to a walker's foot!).  Alas, 500 miles is just about 200 to 300 miles short of the life of the boot; meaning, in the middle of my journey, my boots would likely end their useful contribution to the journey.  So I bought another pair of the same boots (on sale!) a couple of weeks ago.  Today, I start the break in process.  I'll probably put about 50 or so miles on them as I begin the final wind-up to Spain in 44 days.  I feel like Steve Martin . . .It's new boots day! It's new boots day!

For my day dreams and your delight, here's a picture of the albergues (hostel) near the town of Miraz on approximately day 17.  These albergues range in price from free to 5 Euro, or even up to 12 Euro if they feed you too.  You present your credential, they stamp it, and you get to stay on a first come first serve basis.  Some are old monasteries, some are small civic buildings, but all are simple and one night only then "Move on pilgrim.  Move on!"

1 comment:

  1. Boots are great, Peter, but I hope you'll post your whole packing list sometime too. I'd love to know what you'll carry. Details, please!

    ReplyDelete