Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 23: Rest and a short rainy walk

On Monday, we spent the entire day in the lovely town of Aviles.   For much of the day I lay in bed with my injured knee elevated.  Late in the day, after getting an athletic sleeve for my knee, we ventured out to see the oldest building in town--a 16th century home that was the 'best' example of Asturian Baroque.  Then we wandered in the old city section a bit, and ended up sitting at a cafe in the main square enjoying the sun, sipping tea, and nibbling pastry, and people watching--this call to become the peregrino is just so hard.
We had to return to the hotel to put on long pants and long sleeve shirts as the rain showers and winds continued to roll through.  We wandered a bit more to the church of St. Nicolas, past the school of art and musical conservatory, until we started to look for a place to eat.  One place delighted me: eggs with sea urchin, prawns and squid ink, several different octopus preparations, eels, just all sorts of meals screaming, 'You will seldom get to eat this again, now or never.'  Yet the prices also screamed 'bad peregrino, where is your spirit of denial?'  So we ended up at the pizza joint next door to our hotel again.  Pete got chicken with curry, and I got 2 cheeses, pimento and anchovy, salty and delicious.  We ate, went back to the room for futbol, and fell asleep as Ukraine outplayed the Swedes.
Yesterday and the day before were full of anguish and prayer.  To have my pilgrimage ended by an injury, just nearly reduced me to tears.  I just couldn't believe three years of prayer and preparation was to end like this.  My prayers were full of harsh words, pleading, begging, deal-making, you name it, I said it and more and frankly sometimes worse.  Pete said that as he attended Mass, he also had questions and found peace as bread broke.
So this morning as I woke at 6:00, I read my daughter's blessing of the day, remembered my other daughter's timely phone call, teared up at the thought of my wife's love (that may make 30 or so times that's happened), said Shema to honor them, and hoisted pack prepared for the day's blessings, whatever they might be.
The rains started soon after we cleared the streets of Aviles.  We climbed out of the last suburb, saw it coming toward us, and Pete said, 'I think I'll put the backpack cover on now to save a step later.'  We both went the whole way and none to soon.  It came down in windy sheets.  We both commented about how good the weather had been for us--no rain since day two, besides yesterdays showers as we rested in a 3 star hotel!  So, my knee was only complaining moderately, Pete's feet were quiet, what's a little rain weighed against body parts that still seem to be cooperating eh?
We walk through a couple of K of eucalyptus forests and clear cuts on nice dirt road.  Dirt (and mud) are just so gentle on our feet and knees compared to asphalt or concrete.  My knee, once warmed up, is not complaining too much so we decide to try to do 22K or so.  We find coffee after 5K--lovely.  The rain is off and on but not drenching.  Life is good.
We stop for devotions under the shelter of a small chapel devoted to Mary.  The Psalm of Ascent (#125) we read, sung by other pilgrims long ago as they came up the hills to Jerusalem for the great festivals, reminded us that those who trust in Adonai are like Mt. Zion: they are unshakeable.  We give thanks.  We share prayers with Nolan T and Kym T.  Courage renewed we head into the rain and march on. 
Our goal is short, but off the Camino a bit.  As we climb down off a small hill into the next river valley, my knee starts complaining.  We are ahead of schedule.  We have come 17K.  Why be silly?  We road walk off the Camino for 200m and luck into a woman leaning out here window at some apartments that rent single night's to peregrinos.  So by 3:30 we are settled in, bathed, laundry hung, and knee elevated.    
My camino is not over yet.  I may not be 'unshakeable' (indeed, I was pretty shook up), but I am thankful for yet another day, and hope for more to come.  Buen Camino.  








2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Aviles! I posted to Pete on FB that your blogs make me want to do my own Camino. My husband, Dennis & I were in Gijon & Aviles in 2009 and your words and pictures bring back fond memories.

    Praying for your healing knee and a Buen Camino to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're trucking on! MT

    ReplyDelete