Thursday, March 8, 2012

Our Daily Liturgy

I'm going on the Camino, in part, as a time in my life set aside for intense prayer and contemplation.  My walking companion, Peter Harris, and I will daily pray, read scripture, observe silence, sing, and pray some more. We are following the ancient Lectio Divina, The Divine Reading.

OUR DAILY PILGRIM LITURGY ON THE CAMINO

1.           The Shema: to honor my family, the rabbi, staff, and congregation at Beth Emeth, and in penitent recognition and honor of those, who since 1492, cannot rise and proclaim Shema themselves.

2.           Responsive reading of one of the Psalms of Ascent #120 -# 134, one per day, repeat cycle.

3.           Offer a prayer of thanksgiving and praise.

THE LECTIO DIVINA (an ancient practice of meditation and listening –The Divine Reading)

4.           Lectio: read--the Gospel portion of the week’s lectionary (same passage daily thru the week).

5.           Meditatio: search and prepare--“Jesu, Son of God have mercy upon me a sinner. Come Holy Spirit”.

6.           Oratio: pray--“Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. You have given all to me; to you, O Lord, now I return it; all is yours, dispose of me wholly according to your Will.  Give me only your love and your grace, for this is enough for me.”(St. Ignatius of Loyola).

7.           Contemplatio: contemplation--A time, 1-2 hours, of silence contemplating the words of scripture and listening in silent openness for the voice of the Spirit.

8.           Sing the Doxology and John Wesley Covenant Prayer.

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

1 comment: