Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Prayer and Promise

Here is an article I wrote for our church newsletter about taking prayers to Spain.  I hope to take your prayers as well . . .


Prayers and Promise
I want to take your prayers to Spain on May 17, and offer them up daily with my own as I walk the 500 miles of pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.  

Your prayers may be no more than a series of simple words and names.  I trust the Holy Spirit to know the longings of your heart.  

Your prayers may take the form of a letter to God: “Dear God, Thank you for the blessings of my family, my life, my church.  But I wonder God, why is there so much pain in life for my children?  Where is their blessing?”  

Your prayers may be more in the form of a dream you have for your future or the future of someone you know and love.

Your prayers may be formal like the prayers in the hymnal.  Your prayers may be informal, like casual conversation.

The form of prayer is less important than the act and intention of offering prayers.  

I hope you will take some time, craft a prayer, and then place it in the envelope (or give it to me) on the display in the narthex.  There is paper on the display for you to use if you wish; paper for you to give to others who do not attend Stony Creek, for their prayers as well.

Once in Spain, I will enjoy a moment of intimacy with friends every day of my pilgrimage as I offer these prayers to the God who hears and responds.  

I hope you will also consider making a donation to the Pilgrim’s Promise.  Pilgrim’s Promise is a fund set up through the Church Council that will make available money to members and friends of Stony Creek who seek through mission trips, Emmaus Walks, retreats, Marriage Encounter weekends, or training for service to others, to grow closer to the One who I seek in Spain: the One Who has been seeking us all from our first breath to this day.

For those who do not attend Stony Creek:
Send your prayers, hopes, burdens, or dreams to
pdoan@umich.edu  or   Peter Freedman-Doan   5813 Rothbury Ct.  Ypsilanti, MI  48197
If you choose to donate, make your checks payable to Stony Creek United Methodist Church and please write “Pilgrim’s Promise” in the memo area of the check.
Stony Creek United Methodist Church
5493 Willis Rd
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

No comments:

Post a Comment