Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Preparations

I prepare for this pilgrimage in all sorts of ways.  Two years ago, I began walking.  I used to walk 2.5 miles from home to the nearest bus stop, and take the bus into work.  My companion, Peter, and I have taken very long walks through the quiet back roads south of Manchester, Michigan.  The walk I enjoy the most is the 4 mile walk to church on Sunday mornings.  I've done that a dozen or so times over the last couple of years.  This past Sunday, I did not see a soul until I was less than 1/2 mile from church.  The birds flitted about.  The occasional dog gave me a greeting.  I heard the crazy improv rhythms of a wood pecker and crows puffing chests at each other over territory high in the trees.  To have the privilege of a bit over an hour before church filled with the quiet crunch of shoe on gravel and mind wandering from prayer to hymn fragment to wife to kids to prayer to . .  .well now, that is preparation indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment