Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Prayers of a Pilgrim

One tradition that has grown around the Camino is for the pilgrim to carry a stone from home along the pilgrimage route.  The stone represents the burdens and hopes the pilgrim carries.  At one point along the way, the pilgrim lays down the stone as a sign that all burdens and all hopes are in the hands of the Crucified One.
In the spirit of that tradition, I will carry 40 stones/scallop shells to Spain.  Each day of my pilgrimage, I will attach written prayers to one of the stones or scallop shells, add my own prayers, and leave the stone or shell there along the Camino.  I will photograph the location, and place the photo and the names of the persons whose prayers I’ve offered on the trip blog site I will maintain as time permits.    
I would like you to write down and send with me your prayers, hopes, burdens, or dreams.  You may put your name on your prayer or you may leave it anonymous.
 I would like you to donate at least  $25 to the Pilgrim’s Promise at Stony Creek United Methodist Church.a  The Pilgrim’s Promise gives financial support to church members and church friends who participate in intentional spiritual growth activities like Emmaus Walk, mission trips, or spiritual retreats.  My goal is to establish the fund with at least $1000 (40 days of prayers on the pilgrimage X $25).  I would love to carry  even more than 40 prayers with me, and I would love the Pilgrim’s Promise Fund to start with even more than $1000.
Send your prayers, hopes, burdens, or dreams to:
pdoan@umich.edu  or   Peter Freedman-Doan   5813 Rothbury Ct.  Ypsilanti, MI  48197
Make your checks payable to Stony Creek United Methodist Church and please write “Pilgrim’s Promise” in the memo area of the check.
Stony Creek United Methodist Church
5493 Willis Rd
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
aFor those of you far from me and from my church, Stony Creek, please feel free to donate to the Pilgrim’s Promise at Stony Creek, or if you wish, donate to another church, synagogue or charity.  Please notify me that you have done so when you send your prayer, hopes, burdens, or dreams to me.  In the book of Exodus, when the three pilgrimage festivals (Pesach, Pentecost, and Shavuot) are mandated, the pilgrims are instructed “not to appear before Me empty-handed” Exodus 23:15.  In that spirit, your contributions will allow me to come to Santiago and not be “empty-handed.” Of course if a donation of $25 is not possible, I would still love to take your prayers to Spain with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment